Medical negligence is unfortunately common and can have devastating consequences for the victims. Whether it’s a misdiagnosis, surgical error, medication mistake, or other negligent act or omission, the impact on a person’s life can be profound. A St. Paul medical negligence lawyer may be able to help.
If you or a loved one suffered harm at the hands of a healthcare professional, you might be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering and other damages. Our medical malpractice lawyers in St. Paul are experienced in these cases and will fight for maximum compensation on your behalf. Contact Madia Law today to get started with a free case evaluation.
Examples of Medical Malpractice: Exploring Different Cases
When medical professionals fall short of their duty of care, patients can suffer serious consequences. We understand the impact that medical negligence can have on individuals and their families.
Here are some of the different types of medical malpractice cases we handle:
- Birth injuries: During pregnancy, labor, or delivery, medical personnel must act promptly in emergencies. Failure to do so can lead to birth injuries such as brain damage, cerebral palsy, brachial plexus injuries, and nerve damage.
- Misdiagnosis: Doctors have a grave responsibility to diagnose patients correctly. Negligence in performing a thorough diagnosis, taking incomplete medical histories, or ignoring symptoms for serious conditions can have life-altering consequences.
- Surgical mistakes: Surgical negligence can involve wrong-site surgeries, unsanitary tools, infections, and instruments left inside the body. Mistakes during surgery can cause serious harm or death.
- Emergency room errors: Despite the chaotic nature of emergency rooms, medical professionals are held to a high standard of care. Split-second decisions must still prioritize patient safety.
- Anesthesia errors and negligence: Anesthesia is vital for pain-free medical procedures, but errors can lead to long-term injuries and even death. Anesthesia mistakes can also occur during dental procedures.
- Medication errors: Prescribing the wrong drug or dosage and failing to account for serious allergies can have severe consequences. Pharmacists are also responsible for filling prescriptions accurately.
- Radiology mistakes and negligence: Radiologic test results influence treatment plans; therefore, If errors occur during imaging or in interpreting results, it can worsen conditions or leave them untreated.
- Bowel injuries: Inadequate handling of instruments during abdominal or gynecological surgeries can lead to bowel perforation. Seeking experienced legal representation is crucial when negligence results in severe bowel injuries.
At Madia Law, we’re dedicated to holding medical professionals accountable for the harm they inflict. If you or a loved one has suffered due to medical negligence, our legal team is here to provide compassionate and effective representation.
For a legal consultation with a negligence lawyer serving St. Paul, call 612-349-2729
Damages a Medical Negligence Lawyer in St. Paul Could Pursue
An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you pursue various damages to address the physical, emotional, and financial impact of the negligence you’ve endured.
Here are some of the damages our attorneys can help you pursue:
- Medical expenses: Medical negligence can lead to expensive bills for hospital stays, surgeries, medications, and ongoing treatments. A lawyer can help you seek compensation for these costs to ensure your medical needs are covered.
- Reimbursement for lost income: If the negligence caused you to miss work and lose wages, a lawyer can help you recover the income you would have earned during your recovery period.
- Ongoing Medical care and treatments: Some injuries may require long-term care, rehabilitation, or therapies. An attorney can work to secure compensation to cover these ongoing medical needs.
- Pain and suffering: Physical and emotional suffering are common consequences of medical negligence. A lawyer can help you pursue compensation for the distress you’ve endured. Emotional effects, such as anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress, can be included in your damages claim.
- Disability or disfigurement: If the healthcare provider’s negligence led to a permanent disability or disfigurement, a lawyer can help you seek compensation for the impact these changes have had on your life.
- Loss of consortium: In cases where negligence has affected your relationship with a spouse or partner, damages may include compensation for loss of companionship, support, and intimacy.
- Rehabilitation and therapy costs: Recovering from medical negligence often involves rehabilitation and therapy. Your lawyer can pursue compensation to cover these necessary expenses.
Don’t accept an insurance settlement without knowing how much your case is worth. A dedicated medical negligence lawyer understands the available damages in these situations and will work tirelessly to ensure you receive fair compensation for the harm you’ve suffered.
Minnesota Time Limit for Filing a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit
Please understand that you have a limited time to take legal action. According to Minnesota Statute 541.076 (b), the general statute of limitations for medical malpractice is four years from the date of the malpractice incident.
However, there are important exceptions to be aware of:
- Wrongful death: If the malpractice results in the patient’s death, you have three years from the date of the malpractice to file a lawsuit.
- Discovery rule: In certain situations, the “discovery rule” applies. If the harm or negligence isn’t immediately apparent and could not reasonably have been discovered at the time of the mistake, the four-year limitation clock may be paused.
- Minors: If the patient was under 18 at the time of the malpractice, the deadline to file a lawsuit is extended until one year after the patient’s 18th birthday.
An attorney can assess your situation and let you know exactly how long you have to pursue your case.
St. Paul Negligence Lawyer Near Me 612-349-2729
Contact a St. Paul Medical Negligence Lawyer
If you believe you or a loved one have been a victim of medical negligence in the St. Paul area, don’t hesitate to take action. The experienced team of St. Paul medical negligence lawyers at Madia Law is here to provide you with the necessary legal guidance and support.
We understand the complexities of medical malpractice cases and are dedicated to helping you seek justice and financial compensation. Your well-being is our priority, and we’re ready to fight for your rights. Contact us today for a confidential consultation to discuss your case and explore your legal options.